... exploring in my creativity further in 2022



09 January 2012

CONNECTing to my City

When I decided on CONNECT for my Word of the Year (or it decided on me), many ways to connect began to jump into my mind. Two of the countless things I wanted to connect with were to my sense of adventure and to the city I live in (Ottawa).

So I have created a new little blog "Microadventure in Canada's Capital" where every week, I will write about (and hopefully show in photos) a micro adventure I have taken that week, somewhere close to home.

Two things prompted this idea. First was last year's (failed) attempt to take "Artist Dates" a la Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way. I loved the idea but seemed rarely able to follow through. Partly I think it was because she said they should be alone/by yourself and partly because they seemed to be mostly about art - which I love  - but didn't bring forth many ideas for things to do. The other idea that propelled me was reading about one of National Geographic's Adventurers of the Year - Alistair Humphreys who took microadventures around Great Britain in 2011. I loved this idea. 

Now, I am on a different end of the spectrum from Alistair's extreme adventuring. An adventure to me is getting out of the house and doing something different. Something physical or something intellectual, something alone or something with other people. Something I haven't done for years or something I have never done. For these adventures, anything goes and company is welcome! And if  (likely) you can't join me in person, maybe you can have an adventure in your city and tell me all about it! Blogging about it weekly aims to help keep me on track and putting myself out there.



6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this. Good luck with it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your Microadventures. Looks like it will be fun. The musuem sounds like fun. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wonderful that you have chosen a word to wander this year with you as a companion. i wonder what all you will learn and experience with the word 'connect'. i love traveling with a word, they have more to offer than i ever thought. wishing you the best with your adventures and your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I've done this kind of adventure thing in Miami...in fact, I can't stop (when time permits). I'm always looking for fun and exciting things to do...some artsy, but not always.

    One thing I want to try again is Indian food. I miss the coconut rice and other dishes I sampled once upon a time that were yummy but I have no idea what they were.

    Many happy adventures to YOU, my friend! Enjoy your outings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds fun and interesting! I love that "extreme adventuring" !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 2012 - you look like you have a bit lined up, remember to smell those roses (or poppies, actually maybe coffee?) on the way ;)

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you!